What level of English is required to go to university?
July 19, 2023
All Knowledge Areas
When it comes to improving your English language skills, studying is just one piece of the puzzle. As an aspiring Smart Global Professional, reading a textbook isn't enough. You have to explore other ways of developing your language skills.
In a diverse and interconnected world, having a strong command of English opens doors to international opportunities and enriches your university experience. So if you are thinking of improving your language skills, our recommendation is: do it. It will be incredibly helpful, not only for studying, but also for traveling, meeting new people and, of course, working.
What is the minimum level of English required to go to university?
The level of English required to go to university varies depending on the institution and the program of study. Generally, universities expect non-native English speakers to have a certain level of proficiency to ensure they can effectively participate in academic coursework and communicate with faculty and fellow students.
English language requirements are typically specified by the university and may differ for undergraduate and graduate programs.
Do I need to take an English language test?
In many cases, non-native English speakers are required to take an English language test to demonstrate their proficiency. These tests assess your ability to understand, speak, read, and write in English. Universities use these test scores as a benchmark to evaluate your language skills and determine if you meet their admissions requirements.
Taking an English language test provides an objective measure of your abilities and helps universities assess if you are ready to study in English. It's important to research the specific requirements of the universities you're interested in to determine whether you'll need to take an English language test to apply.
Which English language test should I take?
This will depend on the university, but the following are some commonly accepted English language tests and their corresponding score requirements:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): A minimum score of 80 for undergraduate programs and 89 for graduate programs.
- TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication): At least 650 for undergraduate programs and at least 700 for graduate programs.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): A minimum score of 6.0 for undergraduate programs and 6.5 for graduate programs.
- CAMBRIDGE FCE (First Certificate in English): A grade of "B" (B2 level) or higher, with preference given to Cambridge Advanced (CAE) or Proficiency (CPE) certificates.
- Duolingo English Exam: A minimum score of 95 for undergraduate programs and 105 for graduate programs.
How can I prepare for an English language test?
To prepare for an English language test and improve your language skills, there are various approaches you can take. One effective option is to enroll in a language program specifically designed to support your English language development.
Schiller International University offers an English Immersion Program aimed at providing students with the necessary skills to excel as Smart Global Professionals. Here's how our program can benefit you:
- Developing English communication skills: Our program provides a structured curriculum that focuses on enhancing your English language proficiency. Through targeted lessons and practice activities, you will improve your speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills, ensuring you can effectively communicate in academic and professional settings.
- Enhancing the global learning experience: By strengthening your command of the English language, our program enriches your global learning experience. Engaging in classroom discussions, collaborating with international peers, and participating in multicultural activities will broaden your understanding of diverse cultures and perspectives.
- Avoiding language-related obstacles: One common challenge faced by students is not having a good enough grasp of English, which can hinder their academic progress. Our program aims to address this issue by having different levels and flexible formats, including online and in-person options. This ensures that all students, regardless of their current language proficiency, can access the program and overcome any language-related barriers.
By enrolling in our program, you will receive comprehensive instruction, personalized support, and opportunities to practice English in real-life situations. Our goal is to equip you with the necessary language skills to confidently navigate the academic and professional world as a global citizen.
So, don't let not having a strong command of English hinder your aspirations. Embrace the opportunity to develop your language skills and embark on a transformative learning experience at Schiller International University.
What can I do besides studying to improve my English?
To truly excel at English, you have to embrace a holistic approach to language learning. While studying provides a solid foundation, there are several other activities you can engage in to enhance your English skills:
- Immersion in an English-speaking environment: Get the full English experience by immersing yourself in an English-speaking environment. Engage in conversations with native speakers, watch movies or TV shows in English, and listen to English podcasts or audiobooks. This exposure will help you become familiar with different accents, idiomatic expressions, and colloquial language.
- Conversation practice: Actively seek opportunities to engage in English conversations. Practice with language exchange partners, participate in language meetups or conversation clubs, and make an effort to communicate in English whenever possible. This real-world practice will boost your confidence and fluency.
- Read Widely: Reading extensively in English exposes you to a rich range of vocabulary, sentence structures, and writing styles. Explore different genres, from novels and magazines to online articles and blogs. Reading not only expands your knowledge but also improves your comprehension and language skills.
- Write Regularly: Regular writing practice is an effective way to enhance your English language skills. Start a journal, write a blog, or participate in online writing communities. Seek feedback from native English speakers or language tutors to improve your writing style, grammar, and vocabulary.
Gain the language skills and global experience you need for success
To excel at English, going beyond the classroom and immersing yourself in the language is key. By actively engaging in conversations, reading extensively, writing regularly, and seeking additional support through a preparation course like the one offered at Schiller International University, you can enhance your language skills and confidently navigate the global landscape as a Smart Global Professional, achieving everything you set your mind to.
Because our program offers more than just a language course. It's a unique opportunity to become part of a vibrant international community from all corners of the globe. With campuses in four countries and classes conducted in English, being part of Schiller International University encourages you to fully immerse yourself in the language. Interacting with students and faculty from diverse backgrounds enhances your language skills and enriches your overall educational experience. Here you won't only study English, you'll live it and share it with everyone around you.
Don't let language proficiency hold you back from unlocking the full potential of your international academic journey - embrace these opportunities to develop your English skills and stand out from the crowd, excelling in the way you were meant to.